In the new times, cloud storage has become costly and required for daily lives. Two popular ones are Google Drive and OneDrive. Both come from giant tech companies. If you are using Windows, OneDrive works more flexibly.
Both drives give the option to store and access all types of files anytime on the go. Several reasons exist to migrate google drive to OneDrive. Either as backup or easiness to work in Windows, OneDrive becomes an opportunity for cloud storage.
Migration can be done manually and using cloud transfer service tools.
Manual method to move files from Google Drive to OneDrive is laborious, but works perfectly.
MultCloud and Chrome extensions are other methods to copy files.
To check that all files and folders are copied from Google Drive to OneDrive, you can view the number of files on both cloud storage service providers.
In this complete tutorial we are going to see the process, see the applications, And important tips to migrate Google drive to OneDrive.
Why do you need to Migrate?
Before we begin the process we will find out what is the need to migrate from Google drive to one drive. one of the chief advantages of using OneDrive is that it is deeply connected with Microsoft Office.
The purpose of transfer documents and files to One Drive is to save money and space for free. You can create multiple accounts of Gmail and Microsoft accounts. With each account comes the standard storage. But when it is full, you need to either buy or upgrade the existing free plan.
It makes it a natural choice for common users of tools like word Excel and PowerPoint. Another benefit is that if you are using other Microsoft services like Outlook or SharePoint, you can store your files in Onedrive.
This can streamline your working process and improve productivity.
As both the drives use a subscription plan based on month or yearly, you need to pay continuously as long as you exceed the google drive storage. But there is a simple trick to keep your plan always free.
Whenever Google Drive exceeds 15GB, you can move the files to OneDrive which has 5GB plan by default. That way you can save some space. Now your Google Drive is only 2/3rd full. You can add documents and files to it again and for free.
When it reaches the maximum storage, you can then again create another Microsoft account and transfer files to OneDrive. In this way, your google drive storage plan will always be free.
Preparing the Migration Process
Before you start the migration process plan to prepare and organize your files. since the storage on OneDrive is less make sure that only important files from Google Drive or migrated to OneDrive.
Start an Audit of your Google Drive to find the significant files to migrate. Shot them into relevant folders. then remove any unnecessary duplicates or or outdated big files. This this makes the transition process to OneDrive more easy.
But how to keep your cloud storage space empty and save money?
Let’s see 4 methods to transfer google drive to onedrive in this post.
Method #1 : G Drive to OneDrive Migrator
This is a dedicated software to migrate files from Google Drive to OneDrive for Business.
You can transfer different types of files including documents, images, audio/ video files, PDFs, spreadsheets, and permissions.
It works on Windows 10 also. It comes from SysTools.
The highlight features of this program are –
1. Permissions are also can be transferred.
2. Selective data migration from Google Drive to OneDrive.
3. Same Folder Hierarchy as in parent storage.
4. Pause/Resume features available.
5. Migration reports are available.
6. Selective file support transfer.
Download : https://www.systoolsgroup.com/google-drive/onedrive/
The following are simple steps to transfer Google Drive data to OneDrive.
- Install and launch G Drive to OneDrive Migration tool on the local machine
- Click on Browse and then, add credentials of G Drive and OneDrive accounts
- You have to apply 3 Document Filters like Permissions, Date Filter & File Type
- Click Export button and the tool begins to move files from Google Drive to OneDrive successfully
Method #2: Manual Method
You can manually download files from Google Drive and upload them to OneDrive. This is another method of transfer. But this takes lot of time.
1. Select the folder in Google Drive list.
2. Click the 3 vertical dots on the top.
3. Select “Download”.
4. Your folder will be converted to a zip file.
5. It’s saved to the default download location in your Windows.
You can then upload the folder to OneDrive.
1. First unzip the file.
2. It will be created as a folder as before in Google Drive.
3. Open OneDrive account
4. Click on “Upload” button at the top.
5. Select the folder downloaded and unzipped from Google Drive.
It will appear in OneDrive.
The amount of time depends on the number of files and size.
Method #3 : MultCloud – Easy and Simple of All
The best way to migrate files is to use an online tool.
This is another cloud app for transferring files from one cloud drive to another.
You can use this functionality to transfer files from Google Drive to OneDrive.
1. Login to multcloud.com
2. Add your Google Drive and OneDrive and give proper permissions to access your files.
3. Click on “Cloud Transfer” at the top.
4. Select the folder/files in your Google Drive account. (Multiple selections are allowed)
5. Select the target folder in your OneDrive.
6. Click “Transfer Now” button.
You can further see other options available below. Schedule your transfer to another time.
Method #4 – Move files from GSuite to Microsoft 365
If you are a business user and want a migrate from G Suite to Microsoft 365, login to Gmail. Then select Google apps > Drive.
Select all your important files. right click and Download.
All your files will be compressed into a Zip file. select the file and download to your desktop.
Then setup OneDrive for Business on your Windows computer. Using the setting add an account. Then sign in with your Microsoft 365 Email and password.
Finish the setup wizard and open your OneDrive folder.
Now unzip the zip file that you downloaded earlier from Google Drive. Make a folder on OneDrive for Business. Then drag all your files to this OneDrive folder.
Or else you can upload the zip file directly and then unzip in your File Explorer.
The files will start uploading to OneDrive for business and syncing will proceed.
How to Transfer Documents from Google Drive to OneDrive?
If you are looking for a way to transfer your documents from Google Drive to OneDrive, you might be interested in this blog post. Here, we will show you three different methods to move your files between these two cloud storage services easily and quickly.
Method 1: Use Google Takeout
Google Takeout is a tool that allows you to download a copy of your data from Google products, including Google Drive. You can use it to export your documents from Google Drive and then upload them to OneDrive manually.
Here are the steps to use Google Takeout:
- Go to https://takeout.google.com/ and sign in with your Google account.
- Deselect all the products and select only Drive by clicking on the checkbox next to it.
- If you want to transfer specific folders from Google Drive, click on All Drive data included and choose the folders you want to export.
- Click on Next step and choose Add to OneDrive as the delivery method.
- Click on Link accounts and create export and sign in with your Microsoft account.
- Agree to the permissions and enter your Google password to start the transfer process.
- Wait for the process to complete. You will receive an email when it is done.
- Go to OneDrive and find your files in the Apps > Google Download your data folder.
Method 2: Use Microsoft Mover
Microsoft Mover is a tool that allows you to migrate your data from various cloud providers to Microsoft 365. You can use it to transfer files from Google Drive to OneDrive for Business easily.
Here are the steps to use Microsoft Mover:
- Go to https://mover.io/ and sign in with your Microsoft 365 account.
- Click on Connect a Source button and choose Google Drive as the source.
- Sign in with your Google account and authorize Mover to access your files.
- Click on Connect a Destination button and choose OneDrive for Business as the destination.
- Sign in with your Microsoft 365 account and authorize Mover to access your files.
- Select the files or folders you want to transfer from Google Drive and drag them to OneDrive for Business.
- Click on Run Transfer button and wait for the process to complete.
can i sync google drive with onedrive?
If you want to sync Google Drive with OneDrive, you have several options to do so. One option is to use a third-party tool like InClowdz or CBackup, which can help you connect and sync your cloud drives easily and securely.
can i migrate google drive to microsoft 365?
If you want to migrate your files from Google Drive to Microsoft 365, you have a few options to choose from. One option is to use the SharePoint Migration Manager, which is a tool that Microsoft provides to help you move your personal and shared drives to OneDrive and SharePoint.
You will need to install the Microsoft 365 Migration app in your Google Workspace account, scan your drives for any issues, copy them to the migration list, review the destination paths, map the identities, and then start the migration. Another option is to use a third-party migration tool, which may offer more features and flexibility than the native migrator.
can i link onedrive to google drive?
One possible way to link OneDrive to Google Drive is to use Microsoft Power Automate, a platform that allows you to create workflows and automate tasks. You can create a flow that triggers when a new file is added to your OneDrive folder and then copies it to your Google Drive folder. Here are the steps to do that:
Go to https://flow.microsoft.com/ and sign in with your Microsoft account.
Click on Templates and search for “Sync new OneDrive Files to Google Drive Files”.
Select the template and click on Continue.
Sign in with your Google account and grant permissions to access your Google Drive.
Choose the OneDrive folder and the Google Drive folder that you want to sync.
Click on Save and test your flow.
This way, you can link OneDrive to Google Drive and keep your files in sync across both cloud services.
how to migrate google shared drive to onedrive
If you want to migrate your files from Google Shared Drive to OneDrive, you need to follow these steps:
Download the files from Google Shared Drive to your local computer. You can do this by selecting the files you want to migrate and clicking on Download. Alternatively, you can use a third-party tool like Mover.io or CloudFuze to automate the process.
Upload the files to OneDrive. You can do this by dragging and dropping the files to the OneDrive folder on your computer or by using the OneDrive app or website.
Make sure you have enough storage space on OneDrive before uploading.
Share the files with your collaborators on OneDrive.